Following on from my new-agey posts about yoga, mindfulness and three good things, I bring you WORLD HAPPINESS DAY!
I just had a lecture about depression and well-being, and 5 steps were recommended to improve happiness:
1) Connect with people. This can be family and friends you already know, a stranger on the street, or even an enemy. These are the people who can make you or break you. Be nice to them 🙂
2) Be active. This doesn’t mean join the gym! It can be as simple as taking the stairs rather than the escalator, or even walking up the steps on an escalator. Now there’s an idea. Just use your body as it was meant to be used. Go outside!
3) Notice everything. This is where my mindfulness obsession comes in to play. Take a minute to look at the world around you. It’s amazing. Your life is probably actually pretty good right now, so stop worrying about the future, or ruminating about the past. You’re okay.
4) Keep learning. Boredom is the bane of our existence, but with a stimulated mind comes a stimulated outlook on life. Use your mind, discover your potential, expand your interests and connect with the world. It can be as simple as learning how the washing machine works
5) Give. Give whatever you are prepared to use. Your time, your energy, your money, your emotions. Whatever is necessary. Giving to others makes us feel good, not only because we’ve done a nice thing, but because we’ve made other people happy; and you never know, you just might get something back in return.
I think this is a great list of simple things we can do to improve our well-being.
Do you have any other suggestions?